How to Dress an Hourglass Figure
For centuries, women have been wearing corsets made of whalebone or steel to compress the natural waist, achieve perfect cleavage and highlight the rump, creating the ideal hourglass figure. Today, curvaceous icons like Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have helped solidify this silhouette's status as one of the most coveted, and ladies around the world have found new ways to make theirs stand out. Whether you want to highlight a subtle or dramatic hourglass figure, it all starts with the right wardrobe.
Though it's one of the most desirable, it could be argued that the hourglass is one of the most difficult body shapes to style. The goal is to create a perfect balance between the bust and butt, while dramatically slimming the midsection. But, as us curvy ladies know, finding clothes that feel perfectly tailored to a fuller figure can feel next to impossible. Here are some great tips to help you flatter your flawless figure while also feeling like your clothes were tailor-made for you.
The UndergarmentsDressing an hourglass figure starts with the undergarments, as they lay the foundation for the perfect figure beneath whatever you're wearing. Here are the two most important items you need to create a flawless base before you get dressed.
- The Right Bra-A properly fitting bra is the single most important garment for ladies with C-plus cups, and we know it can take years to find one. Choose a bra that lifts the bust off the tummy and provides some definition between the bust and the belly. Pro tip: Take our Perfect Bra Fit Quiz now to help you find the perfect match that will effortlessly highlight your hourglass.
- A Good Body Shaper-A body shaper is a shapewear garment that helps you achieve a specific figure-related goal. Those who want to have an hourglass figure may want to consider a pair of high-waisted shaper panties or a waist cincher, both of which will minimize the midsection to play up the butt and bust. Some body shapers even have built-in butt lifters to create more volume in the behind.
Browse All Shapewear for Women
The ClothesNow onto the main event-your apparel. Of course, one of the most crucial things to remember when dressing an hourglass is to highlight every single curve. Resist the urge to wear anything baggy or oversized that may drown out your figure or make you look more cylindrical than curvy. Here are some more great tips for how to dress an hourglass figure.
- Wear form-fitting tops. Loosey-goosey blouses won't do your figure any favors. Sport tops with skin-hugging fabrics, like lightweight jersey knits or spandex.
- Avoid longer tops and tunics, as they create straight lines and conceal the waist, which is one of the most important facets of an hourglass figure because it helps to create definition. Stick to tops that don't extend below the waist.
- Show off your cleavage with a V-neck or U-neck blouse or tee. High-neck shirts tend to play down the top-half curves and create a bulky, linear shape.
- Wear form-fitting bottoms. It's obvious, but if you're looking to play up your hourglass figure, you need to show it off with tight-fitting jeans. Stick to skinny jeans or pants with a slim ankle to play up the dramatic curves.
- Get to know the bodycon dress and pencil skirt. These skin-hugging garments are the very best way to put your curves on display! And with the right figure-enhancing shapewear beneath, you'll feel super confident.
- Embrace the wrap trend! Wrap dresses and tops are some of the hottest trends of the moment, and that's awesome news for ladies looking to enhance the hourglass. These styles cinch the waist and create natural definition to embolden the curves.
- Belt your coats and dresses. This is one of the most tried-and-true methods for slimming the waist and creating the illusion of a bigger bust and butt, and it's perfect for ladies looking to showcase their hourglass.
Wear it with Confidence
The most important component for a perfectly flattering ensemble? Confidence! Make sure you prioritize dressing in a way that makes you feel fabulous and empowered, and you'll be well on your way to a perfectly flattered figure and a perfectly flattered attitude.
Leave a comment